Posted by Picasa

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Laura



During my time in Malaysia, I have tried soooo many new foods. Almost everyday someone shoves something in the direction of my face and says "Here, try this!" Sometimes they don't even tell me what it is until I've swallowed it! When I first got here, every time I would go out to eat with people, I would have to try every single person's dish! I wasn't hungry for a month! It's actually quite beneficial for me to try so many things because now, I know what I like and what I want to run away from without looking back. In the first few months, I put about a million new things in my mouth until I perfected a straight face. Even if I wanted to gag, spit it out, or cry, I could keep a straight face, chew, swallow, and say "It's okay. . ." However, now that I know everyone so much better, I'm not afraid to let my reaction show! This post will be dedicated to new foods!

First is Durian. Malaysians call it the "King of Fruits" and they either love it or hate it. It has a bread dough-consistency and such a strong odor, that it's banned from alot of hotels, apartments, and modes of transportation.

Photobucket Photobucket


Next, is fermented tofu, also known as "stinky tofu." It tasted the way the stockyards smell.

Photobucket Photobucket


Baby Octopus. I don't think it needs any more explanation.

Photobucket Photobucket


Even though I had a few scary experiences, I LOVE some Malaysian food! These are a few of my favorites:

Starfruit Juice, Roti Tisu, and Yee Mee Soup

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Pau and McDELIVERY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment