Posted by Picasa

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Jordan



Things are going great here in Ethiopia. I have two more weeks of
language and technical training in Ambo. Our first volunteer E.T.'d
(early termination) the other day due to some issues at home, and it
was hard for us to take. I think he made the right decision, but it
was still tough. All 40 of us had lasted for almost two months, and
most of us had begun to think that we would all make it to swearing
in, and when one left, it was like a member of the family was lost.

It's hard to lose part of the group. I think of it sort of like the
military. When a group goes through so many changes together, and
find that they need each other for so much support, they develop close
bonds. So it has been a tough week in Ambo, but we are all excited to
finish training and begin our service.

Our swearing-in ceremony will be on February 13 at the U.S. Embassy in
Addis. I think I am as excited to get to the capital so I can buy
some things for my new house as I am to be sworn in and become a PCV
(Peace Corps Volunteer) and move on from PCT (Peace Corps Trainee).

My Amharic language is coming along great and I look forward to
improving more and more as the months go on, and I have also decided
to begin Sidaminya (the language of the Sidamo region of the Southern
Nations) once I settle in at site.

I have a two room house with electricity, and running water in the
main house on the compound, which includes an ice-cold shower! Yay!!!
haha. I bought a bed when I was last there, which is as comfortable
as I need it to be (take what you want from that statement). When I
return, I am going to buy a large oscillating fan in Hawassa, the
large town near me. It will be pretty expensive at 380 birr ($38),
but I live in the jungle and it gets pretty warm. Also I am in the
market for a TV and DVD player.

I am healthy, with the exception of the normal stomach bugs and aches
we all deal with here. Our medical staff and support, including any
medicines we might need, for ANYTHING, are top-notch and readily
available. I feel completely taken care of. They say
our health care is as good as Barack Obama's!

Well, I think that's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment